weight loss ticker

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Diabetes, Obesity and Life

For various reasons, I've been trying out various medications. None of them worked. They were anxiety meds. Obviously, that was the first thought when I was complaining of agitation, shakiness, headaches and slight disorientation. (Like a kid on a subway, I knew where I was, but everything was streaming by so fast I couldn't catch up.) Especially with having just lost Bailey and everything.
So my nine year old, bless his soul, told me that I remind him of my mom. I'm cranky the same times of day she is, and I act like she does then. He also was kind enough to point out to me that I'm fat. :-) (God Love Him)
So, the next time I felt that way, instead of popping a pill, I stuck my finger. (I have blood sugar problems during pregnancy, so I've always had a glucose meter) To my surprise, it was 229. It was eleven thirty at night, and it'd been nearly 6 hours since I'd eaten anything. It was valentines day, and we'd had spaghetti and meatballs, garlic toast, salad, and chocolate marshmellow hearts. Maybe I'd overdone the sugar/carbs. NOT the case. Connie reminded me that six hours was plenty of time for my body to process that sugar. Her instructions: test fasting and before and after meals. I eat breakfast within 30 minutes of getting up, so it took out the before breakfast. So, I stuck my finger six times a day for two weeks. My fastings were always elevated, some of my afters were, but all of my befores were LOW. Yesterday, she done an A1C. that's where they test your blood for an average of what your blood glucose has been over the past three months. I'll get those results on Friday.
her other instructions:
64 oz. water daily.
1,075-1,200 calories daily
15-20 minutes walking daily
only test when I feel bad, to cut costs of test strips (which are EXPENSIVE) and to save my poor little fingers.
I have 40 pounds to lose, and we're comfortable in assuming that by losing the weight, it may work itself out on it's own. Even if it doesn't, this weight has to go. It's not healthy. Not for me, my husband or my kids.
So how did I do yesterday on my first day of these instructions? (afterall, it was 9:00 a.m. when Connie gave them to me, so I started yesterday)
Breakfast: Sausage Patty and Diet mnt. Dew. (no wonder, LOL) 267 calories
Lunch: Salad with light western dressing (lettuce, onions only) 1 c. Roasted Chicken and Vegetable Noodle Soup from progresso, Marie Callendar's Manicotti Marinara. 410 calories
Snack: 1/2 c. cottage cheese, 2 TBS strawberry topping 115 Calories
Dinner: 3 oz. cube steak, 1/2 c. scalloped potatoes, 12 asparagus spears 359 calories
Snack: Pepperoni poppers 200 calories (was suppose to share these with brian but he was outside while I was cooking supper and I got distracted)
bedtime snack: 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 2 TBS strawberry topping 115 calories
Total calories: 1, 446. I think I done pretty good considering the bad start and not taking my half out of those poppers first.

I drank all of my water.

I did NOT exercise.

Today will be better. It's a new day, it will be wonderful.
Take care,

~Kana

No comments: